Patricia L. Wells
- Joined Denver Water in 1991.
- Served as either City Attorney or Deputy City Attorney, City and County of Denver, 1983-1991
- Colorado Water Quality Control Commission member, 2007 to present
- Colorado Water Trust Board Member, 2002 to present
- Colorado Water Conservation Board Member, 1995-2001
- Chair of the Transportation, Public Facilities and Infrastructure Section of the International Municipal Lawyers Association, 1998-2000
- Former staff attorney for the Environmental Defense Fund and judicial clerk for Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree from Auburn University, 1969
- Graduated cum laude with a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School, 1979
The Legal Division represents and gives legal advice to Denver’s Board of Water Commissioners, the CEO/Manager and the various divisions of Denver Water. It also handles all litigation of the Department.
The types of legal representation include water rights and diligence proceedings, administrative proceedings before state and federal agencies, contracts, civil rights, tort claims, real estate and condemnations, and municipal, employment, environmental and regulatory law. When special counsel are hired, the Legal Division collaborates in and supervises their activities.
In addition, the Legal Division represents Board interests in internal administrative appeals relating to personnel problems and customer complaints, reviews and advises upon matters of pending legislation, and prepares and reviews contract documents of all kinds.