Closing Date: June 22, 2012
Hiring Range: $5,472 – $7,675 per month
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Established in 1918, the utility is a public agency funded by water rates and new tap fees, not taxes. It is Colorado’s oldest and largest water utility.
Denver Water is recruiting for an Engineer III or Engineer IV, depending on qualifications, who under direction of the Construction Project Manager IV — Infrastructure, will manage the materials testing laboratory, supervise a variety of professional and technical personnel performing construction management activities, and manage consulting agreements.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Assigns and directs work of professional and technical personnel within construction section, and provides technical guidance and quality control checks.
- Serves as the key technical staff specialist for the Department in the application of advanced theories, concepts, and processes for geotechnical principles, and concrete materials and construction.
- Manages consultants, contracts, and provides design direction for construction phases of projects.
- Responsible for writing, editing and maintaining Divisions 03 and 31 specifications for the Capital Project Construction Standards.
- Participates in field inspection and contract administration.
- Maintains liaison and represents the Department at meetings; resolves disputes with outside public and private organizational representatives.
- Coordinates interdepartmental activities required to complete projects, and is responsible for associated project design.
- Serves as a member of inter-divisional project teams.
- Effective communication with consulting engineers, contractors, local governmental officials, property owners, regulatory agencies, manufacturing representatives and other Denver Water Divisions.
- Oversee and supervise construction management activities, materials testing and performance, consultant selection and management, complete performance reviews, resolve employee conflict, and assign work through efficient management of resources.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral presentations for internal and external groups/agencies.
- Support implementation of Denver Water Board’s strategic plan.
This position requires thorough knowledge of geotechnical engineering principles, concrete construction materials and techniques, material science, contract administration for construction and professional services, construction operations, projects and programs. Considerable knowledge of heavy civil potable and non-potable water infrastructure including site work, grading, drainage, large diameter pipelines, dams, pumping, storage, treatment facilities, and buildings is preferred.
Education Requirements: Minimum requirements for this position are graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Civil Engineering, plus related continuing education and training or knowledge of engineering equivalent to that obtained through an advanced degree.
Experience Requirements: Position requires at least four years of progressive experience in a specialized field of engineering, or construction management including related field construction inspection, coordination and supervision, relating to Departmentally-equivalent infrastructure.
Other Requirements: Certification as a Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado is required. This position requires thorough knowledge of engineering principles, contract administration for construction and professional services, construction operations, projects and programs. The position also requires thorough knowledge of budgeting, estimating and scheduling.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a funded pension plan, a 401(k) plan with 3 percent match; a 457 deferred compensation plan; health and dental coverage; life insurance; and vacation, holiday, sick leave. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Brian Haggerty