Closing Date: September 5, 2012
Hiring Range: $14.11–$17.99 hourly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Denver Water aspires to be the best water utility in the nation. The organization is a responsible steward of the resources, assets and natural environment entrusted to us in order to provide a high-quality water supply, a resilient and reliable system, and excellent customer service.
Denver Water’s Operations and Maintenance Division is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Utility Worker I within our Recycling Water Treatment Plant. Under close supervision, performs a variety of unskilled to semi-skilled duties related to the operation of all facilities of the Department.
The successful candidate will also be able to perform the following duties:
- Performs operational and maintenance tasks under the direction of a certified technician.
- May be required to perform process control analysis, work on plant operational equipment, maintain plant operations and maintenance records, and complete data entry.
- Performs unskilled to semi-skilled work such as digging, carrying, ground maintenance and gardening equipment and snow removal.
- Place and connect pipe, hydrants, valves and valve boxes
- Operation of equipment such as forklift, snow plow, compressors, pneumatic hand tools, drum dollies, pallet jacks, overhead cranes, submersible pumps, mowers, snow blowers, and related equipment
- Assist in the maintenance of buildings, equipment, drains, sewers, siphons and similar facilities; keeps tools, equipment, and area work area in clean, orderly condition.
- Ability to lubricate and grease equipment
- Don personal protective equipment, including a respirator or SCBA, and work on chemical feed systems.
- Understand how to take reading and issue daily reports concerning water flow.
- Understand the Department’s safety program expectations of job performance and attend scheduled safety meetings.
Qualifications for appointment:
- Knowledge of the practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in an activity relating to the area of the Department to which assigned.
- Understanding of traditional building trades
Education Requirements: Graduation from High School, or equivalent education.
Experience Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver’s license, and have a satisfactory driving record of no more than six points within the last three years
Other Requirements: May be required to perform on-call duty, work shifts, weekend, holidays and overtime as directed, and perform strenuous work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a pension plan; a 401(k) plan with 3 percent match; a 457 deferred compensation plan; health and dental coverage; life insurance; and vacation/holiday/sick leave. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Loren Robinson