Closing Date: August 17, 2012
Hiring Range: $4,975 – $6,343 monthly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Established in 1918, the utility is a public agency funded by water rates and new tap fees, not taxes. It is Colorado’s oldest and largest water utility.
The Survey Section of the Engineering Division of Denver Water is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Global Positioning System (GPS) Coordinator.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates with multiple departments responsible for the collection of GPS data.
- Performs equipment evaluations, oversees maintenance and repair processes, establishes and maintains effective relationships with software/hardware vendors, and builds budget recommendations for GPS use.
- Evaluates the integration of GPS data with other data management tools (e.g., GIS and AutoCAD) and works with others to strengthen those integrations.
- Evaluates and recommends the development, configuration, and maintenance of software including PDL configuration, Spider.net, Trimble Business Center, ArcPad, etc. Must be familiar with FCC licensing requirements and radio frequency configuration.
- Oversees Denver Water’s existing GPS Base Station Reference System. Evaluates and recommends equipment options and the expansion and configuration of the network, rovers, and handheld receivers.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Thorough knowledge of survey grade GPS equipment and controllers, mapping grade GPS equipment, software, processing, positioning, training, and support.
- Considerable knowledge of the integration of AutoCAD Civil 3D, including Survey Field to Finish, and ESRI GIS software with GPS collection.
- Knowledge of property boundaries, legal descriptions, rights-of-way, and licenses.
- Considerable demonstrated skill with GPS including large and small diameter transmission piping, mapping, imagery interpretation, and spatial placement.
- Skill in creating attributes (data library configurations) for data management tools.
- Ability to build control networks for high accuracy ground positioning.
- Ability to train others in GPS skills. Ability to organize, coordinate, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, the public, and other private and public sector organizations.
Education: Graduation from high school, supplemented with a two-year Associate Degree in survey or a related engineering field.
Experience: Seven years of survey experience, including five years of GPS experience and a minimum of two years as a survey supervisor. Successful completion of training or coursework in supervision, leadership and management courses will be given favorable consideration.
Licensing, Certificates, or Credentials: Registration as a Professional Land Surveyor in the State of Colorado preferred. Must possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver's license, and have a satisfactory driving record on the date of appointment.
Other requirements: None.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include deferred compensation plans, health and dental coverage, life insurance and vacation/holiday/sick leave. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Brian Haggerty