Closing Date: August 6, 2012
Hiring Range: $18.72 to $23.87 hourly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Denver Water aspires to be the best water utility in the nation. The organization is a responsible steward of the resources, assets and natural environment entrusted to us in order to provide a high-quality water supply, a resilient and reliable system, and excellent customer service.
Denver Water’s Operations and Maintenance Division is currently seeking two qualified candidates to fill the position of Cross Connection Control II in our Water Quality Operations Section of our Water Quality Lab. Under supervision, this candidate will assist with a variety of routine tasks within cross-connection control; conducting audits, suspension of service, installation inspections, investigations, reviewing and entering backflow test reports into Tokay SQL data base; identify potential cross-connection sources; assist with emergency threat and cross-connection control related issues; assist with Primary Drinking Water Regulation (Article 1) and Regulation 84 compliance; may perform primary stand-by.
The successful candidate will be able to perform the following duties:
- Assists with a variety of tasks and projects necessary to the operation of the Cross Connection Control section.
- Assists with conducting field installation inspections and audits to ensure compliance with applicable codes and Denver Water Engineering Standards.
- Advises customers, plumbers and registered ABPA/ASSE backflow prevention assembly testers of cross-connection control compliance issues and ensures timely and acceptable resolution of compliance deficiencies.
- Assists with analyzing cross-connection control related problems and activities necessary to solve these problems.
- Maintain cross-connection data in Tokay SQL; backflow test reports for record keeping; related Microsoft Office files.
- Assists with cross connection control activities including; customer inquiries, suspension of service for noncompliance, Regulation 84 compliance, cross-connection identification, emergency threat and environmental contamination events.
- Carries out the Department’s safety program through job performance and attendance at scheduled safety meetings.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Qualification for Appointment:
- Knowledge of cross-connection control activities involved in the administration of Denver Water’s cross connection control compliance program; applicable sections of Denver Water’s Engineering Standards and Operating Rules, the USC FCCCHR and Colorado Cross-Connection Control manual, cross connection control principles and equipment;
- Knowledge of testing of backflow prevention assemblies; plumbing, lawn irrigation, fire sprinkler and hydraulic systems;
- Knowledge of conducting audits, investigations, suspension of service, installation inspections, reviewing and entering backflow test reports; identify potential cross-connection sources; emergency threat and cross-connection control related issues;
- Regulation 84 compliance
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of computer software including Tokay SQL, CIS, X-Con, WASA, CC&B, CCL, Microsoft Outlook, Office Power Point, Word/Excel, GIS, Project Tracker and MAXIMO.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the general public, private and public sector organizations and employees. •Physical dexterity is required, as well as being able to operate a motor vehicle for long periods of time.
- Possess problem-solving skills as related to cross connection control.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, the public and other private and public sector organizations.
Education Requirements: Graduation from high school and one year of coursework in cross connection control, backflow prevention, plumbing, hydraulics, and distribution water quality related subjects.
Experience Requirements: Two years’ applicable experience in cross-connection control and backflow prevention.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
License, Certificate or Credential: Must possess and maintain a 40-hour ABPA or ASSE Cross-Connection Control/Backflow Prevention training certificate and Distribution Cross Connection Control Investigation certificate. Must possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver’s license with no more than six points within the last three years, at time of appointment.
Other Requirements: Must be able to drive a Denver Water Department automobile for prolonged periods, work in confined spaces, squat/bend frequently at waist, may perform stand-by duty, work overtime as directed, and work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a pension plan, a 401(k) plan with 3 percent match; a 457 deferred compensation plan; health and dental coverage; life insurance; and vacation/holiday/sick leave. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing, and a strength test. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Alice Montez