Closing Date: October 22, 2012
Hiring Range: $18.72 — $23.87 hourly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Established in 1918, the utility is a public agency funded by water rates and new tap fees, not taxes. It is Colorado’s oldest and largest water utility.
The Construction Section of the Engineering Division of Denver Water is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Materials Lab Technician I. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assists in conducting field tests in support of construction management providing quality assurance of constructed work by Denver Water sections and outside contractors.
- Assists in conducting laboratory tests in support of construction management providing quality assurance of constructed work by Denver Water sections and outside contractors.
- Operates a variety of instruments and test equipment such as nuclear density gauges, concrete testing equipment, soils testing equipment, concrete specimen curing equipment, personal computers, meters and recorders.
- Ability to research and interpret various testing standards such as ASTM and ACI standards. Ability to follow standards prescribed for various test methods.
- Performs clerical functions, which may include assisting in the preparation of reports, cost estimates, and the maintenance of various records, files and indexes. Including the use of computer software to evaluate test data.
- Assist in conducting field and lab testing of concrete and soils.
- Cleans and maintains laboratory and laboratory equipment.
Education: Graduation from high school or GED, supplemented by college or university level course work in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or related field.
Experience: Two years' experience in material testing or sub-professional engineering work (field construction work).
Licensing, Certificates, or Credentials:
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Must acquire ACI Field Technician I certification within 18 months of appointment.
- Must acquire ACI Laboratory Technician I certification within 18 months of appointment.
- Must acquire NICET I in Construction Material Testing — Concrete or Soils within 18 months of appointment.
- Must be certified in the use and safety of nuclear density gauges within 6 months of appointment.
Other requirements: None
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include deferred compensation plans, health and dental coverage, life insurance and vacation/holiday/sick leave.
All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Brian Haggerty