Closing Date: May 15, 2012
Hiring Range: $15.48 to $19.73 hourly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Denver Water aspires to be the best water utility in the nation. The organization is a responsible steward of the resources, assets and natural environment entrusted to us in order to provide a high-quality water supply a resilient and reliable system, and excellent customer service.
Denver Water’s Operations and Maintenance division is currently seeking two qualified candidates to fill the position of Water Quality Investigator I within our Water Quality Operations section. Under close supervision, the successful candidate will train in the performance of system improvement construction projects and water quality monitoring including sample collection, complaint investigation, cross-connection control, disinfection and environmental discharge procedures.
The successful candidate will be able to perform the following duties:
- Will be trained in chlorinations, pressure washing, ozonations and dechlorinations of newly installed and rehabilitated water mains; and monitoring the discharge of chemically treated water to protect the environment in all system improvement activities.
- Will be trained to collect bacteriological samples, analyze physical parameters of potable and chemically treated water as it relates to system improvement projects.
- Will be trained to work with bulk chemicals, perform discharge permit compliance through sample collection, and generate reports as they relate to environmental discharge procedures.
- Will be trained to conduct water quality complaint investigations.
- Will be trained to perform inspection of commercial, industrial, domestic and agricultural plumbing systems for cross-connection control.
- Will be trained to perform CCTV camera inspection of rehabilitated water mains.
Skills and Qualifications needed for appointment
- Knowledge of front-range area street and road locations.
- Some knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, GIS and SharePoint applications.
- Some knowledge of basic water treatment/distribution processes.
- Physical dexterity, including the ability to drive a motor vehicle for long periods of time and perform construction related activities (climb ladders, lift hoses and similar equipment).
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, the public and other private and public sector organizations.
Graduation from high school or GED with related science course work.
Must possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver’s license, and have a satisfactory driving record of no more than six points within the last three years. Must be able to drive a Denver Water Department automobile for prolonged periods of time and be able to pull trailers. Must work overtime as directed and work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a pension plan; a 401(k) plan with 3 percent match; a 457 deferred compensation plan; health and dental coverage; life insurance; and vacation/holiday/sick leave. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Alice Montez