Closing Date: September 7, 2012
Hiring Range: $17.02–$21.70 hourly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Denver Water aspires to be the best water utility in the nation. The organization is a responsible steward of the resources, assets and natural environment entrusted to us in order to provide a high-quality water supply, a resilient and reliable system, and excellent customer service.
Denver Water’s Engineering Division currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the Engineering System Tech II position within the Distribution Section.
The successful candidate will also be able to perform the following duties:
- Assists in conducting field tests and experiments to determine approximate location, flow, pressure, and size of pipelines; assists in the establishment of soil corrosion characteristics.
- Drafts maps to scale, indicating property lines, building locations, rights-of-way and other facilities. Uses CAD/CAM as required.
- Operates a variety of instruments and test equipment such as drafting instruments, field gauges, personal computers, meters and recorders.
- Performs clerical functions, which may include assisting in the preparation of reports, cost estimates, and the maintenance of various records, files and indexes. May include computer work.
- Maintains records of pressure data, low-pressure complaints, status of rights-of-way, real estate in the process of acquisition, new subdivisions and road easements.
Qualifications for appointment:
- Knowledge of distribution utility piping theory and practices.
- Knowledge of computer principles, databases, files, and basic hardware and software.
- Some knowledge of surveying and map reading.
- Skills in drafting and CAD/CAM and work with relational databases.
- Ability to perform work applications on computer systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively both or orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, the public and other private and public sector organizations.
- Familiarity with Denver Water Standards, including the current Engineering Standards, CAD Standards, and Capital Projects Construction Standards.
Education Requirements: Graduation from high school, supplemented with course work in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or related field as determined by the requirements for specialized knowledge.
Experience Requirements: Three years' experience in sub-professional engineering or systems work as determined by the requirements for specialized experience.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
License, Certification or Credential: Must possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver’s license, and have a satisfactory driving record of no more than six points within the last three years.
Other Requirements: Certain position may require demonstrated proficiency in software and technical applications.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a pension plan; a 401(k) plan with 3 percent match; a 457 deferred compensation plan; health and dental coverage; life insurance; and vacation/holiday/sick leave. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application.
Recruiter: Loren Robinson