Rules for Outdoor Water Use
Water is a limited resource in our dry climate. Using water wisely not only saves you money, but it’s the right thing to do. Denver Water’s 2015 summer watering rules* are enforced May 1 to Oct. 1, so please use only what you need.
- Water during cooler times of the day — lawn watering is not allowed between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Water no more than three days per week.
- Do not allow water to pool in gutters, streets and alleys.
- Do not waste water by letting it spray on concrete and asphalt.
- Repair leaking sprinkler systems within 10 days.
- Do not irrigate while it is raining or during high winds.
- Use a hose nozzle with a shut-off valve when washing your car.
*These rules are mandatory. Repeat offenders may be fined.
Rules for watering newly planted landscape
Denver Water customers with newly planted landscape may water new grass as necessary, for up to 21 days. After 21 days, routine watering is limited to no more than three days per week and not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. To submit your request for a 21-day watering exemption, call 303-893-2444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are requesting a watering exemption, the newly landscaped area should be 250 square feet or larger. It is wasteful to run an irrigation system on an area any smaller, and you can hand water areas that are less than 250 square feet. Keep in mind that you may see an increase in your water use upon watering for up to 21 days.
Lawn watering times
Use the chart as a starting point to determine the number of minutes to water each zone on the days you water. These times are averages. Adjust your watering minutes based on rainfall, type of grass or plants, sunny or shady locations and other characteristics.
Watering two days a week should be sufficient during most of the summer. If needed, water a third day during extreme heat or dry periods. Water trees and shrubs as needed, but not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Shrubs and perennials need half as much water as lawns.
There are no assigned watering days, but never water a zone more than three days a week.
Minutes to water per zone (for lawns, based on three days per week)
Fixed spray heads
January – April Water trees and shrubs as needed. May 12 24 30 18 June 17 35 43 26 July 18 36 45 27 August 14 27 34 20 September 11 23 28 17 October – December Water trees and shrubs as needed.
Report water waste
- If you see water waste in Denver parks (water use that does not meet the rules call 3-1-1.
- To report water waste anywhere else, call Denver Water at 303-893-2444.
Remodel your yard
Low-water yards create big, beautiful savings. Your yard could be a lot more interesting than grass alone. It could have decks, walkways and colorful, drought-resistant flowers. And it could use less water.
Visit Remodel Your Yard to:
- Get a FREE Water Wise Landscape Handbook.
- Learn watering tips for shrubs, perennials and vegetable gardens.
- Get FREE easy-to-follow plans for planting on a budget or in hard-to-establish areas.
- View a comprehensive resources list.