Water is a limited resource in our dry climate, and using water wisely not only saves you money, but it's the right thing to do. Remember to adjust your automatic sprinklers monthly based on weather conditions.
Denver Water is enforcing its annual water rules, which run May 1 to Oct. 1.
- Water during cooler times of the day – lawn watering is NOT allowed between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Water no more than three days per week.
- Do not allow water to pool in gutters, streets and alleys.
- Do not waste water by letting it spray on concrete or asphalt.
- Repair leaking sprinkler systems within 10 days.
- Do not irrigate while it is raining or during high winds.
- Use a hose nozzle with a shut-off valve when washing your car.
These rules are mandatory. Penalties are:
- 1st violation — warning.
- 2nd violation — $50 fine.
- 3rd violation — $100 fine.
- Continued violations can result in suspension of service.
Use this chart as a starting point to determine the number of minutes to water each zone on the days you water. These times are averages. Adjust your watering minutes based on rainfall, type of grass or plants, sunny or shady locations and other characteristics.
Watering two days a week should be sufficient during most of the summer. If needed, water a third day during extreme heat or dry periods. Water trees and shrubs as needed, but not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Shrubs and perennials need half as much water as lawns.
There are no assigned watering days, but never water a zone more than three days a week.
Minutes to water per zone (for lawns, based on three days per week)
Fixed spray heads
January – April Water trees and shrubs as needed. May 12 24 30 18 June 17 35 43 26 July 18 36 45 27 August 14 27 34 20 September 11 23 28 17 October – December Water trees and shrubs as needed.
Remember, no watering between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. to avoid water loss from evaporation. These times are based on a sprinkler system running at an efficient level.
Rules for watering new plant material
Denver Water customers with new plants, including seed, sod, annuals, shrubs or trees, may water as necessary for up to 21 days. After 21 days, routine watering is limited to no more than three days per week and not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
To submit your request for a 21-day watering exemption, call 303-893-2444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you see water waste in Denver parks (water use that doesn’t meet the rules above), call 3-1-1 to report the waste.
- To report water waste anywhere else, call Denver Water at 303-893-2444.
The more you use, the more you pay
Outdoor watering accounts for more than 50 percent of residential water use. You can manage your water bill by managing how you water your landscapes. Learn more about Denver Water’s rates.