Waterton Canyon: Rules & Regulations
- Bag/possession limit for trout is four of any size at the Waterton Canyon entrance to Marston Diversion Dam. At the Marston Diversion to Strontia Springs, bag/possession limit is two trout 16 inches or longer.
- The use of bait is permitted at the Waterton Canyon entrance to Marston Diversion Dam. At the Marston Diversion to Strontia Springs, only artificial flies and lures may be used.
- Boating is not permitted on Strontia Springs Reservoir or on the South Platt River through Waterton Canyon.
- Camping is permitted only on the Colorado Trail above Strontia Springs on U.S. Forest Service property. Check with Pike National Forest South Platte River District for restrictions.
- No dogs are allowed in the canyon.
- Canyon may be accessed only by foot, bicycle or horseback.
- Canoeing, kayaking, tubing, rafting, and swimming are prohibited.
- Camping and fires of any kind are prohibited on the first 6.2 miles of the trail (see Camping Regulations above for areas).
- It is unlawful to use, light, or ignite fireworks or explosives of any type.
- Firearms and archery are permitted only during open hunting season on U.S. Forest Service property.
- Permit required for special events or groups over 25. Event permit requests must be received 30 days prior to the requested event.