Household leaks can waste more than 1 trillion gallons annually nationwide, which is why Denver Water is participating in the Environmental Protection Agency’s 10th annual Fix a Leak Week, March 19-25.
The week represents a great time to make your home more efficient by finding and fixing leaks.
Here’s how to do it:
- Check for dripping faucets, showerheads and other fixtures.
- Test for silent leaks in your toilets by putting a few drops of food coloring into the tank and seeing if the color appears in the bowl before you flush.
- Don’t forget to check irrigation systems and spigots, too.
- Twist and tighten hose and pipe connections. To save more water without a noticeable difference in flow, twist on a WaterSense-labeled faucet aerator.
- Replace the fixture if necessary. Look for WaterSense-labeled models, which are independently certified to use less water without sacrificing performance.
Learn more about Fix a Leak Week.