Back to top

Accessory Dwelling Units

If you have or intend to add a carriage house, mother-in-law suite, guest house or any other detached accessory dwelling units (ADUs) to your property, you may need a new water supply license, and you may owe additional fees.

A detached accessory dwelling unit is a secondary living space that occupies the same lot as the main house, many times for use as a rental or to allow a family member to live nearby. To run water service to the ADU, customers need a water supply license, (under Tap Application Packet) and will owe an additional system development charge to finance system improvements, capital projects, efficiency projects and water right acquisitions.

Also, if the service line on the property is made of noncopper material, the customer must replace the service line from the water main to the first copper or brass fitting within the structure, and the tap cut must be witnessed by Denver Water, in accordance with our scrape-off policy.

Denver Water may suspend water service to premises that do not comply with this regulation, and customers will not benefit from the nonresidential billing rate they may be eligible for.

Questions? Contact Sales Administration at 303-628-6100 or