Any time there is an excavation in which the earth is moved or removed by the means of any tool, the excavator (customer, contractor, developer, etc.) is required by law (Colorado state law, Section 1. Article 1.5 of title 9.CRS), to notify the Utility Notification Center of Colorado (UNCC).
An excavation means any digging, trenching, augering, backfilling, ditching, grading, plowing-in, pulling-in, ripping, scraping or tunneling.
- UNCC: 800-922-1987 or 811
- Denver Water Locating Department:
- 303-628-6666 (Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)
- Fax: 303-628-6156
- Email: [email protected]
- Denver Water does not locate water service lines on private property.
- Water lines are marked with BLUE PAINT.
- Water service lines (the lines that run from the water distribution main, normally located in the street or public right of way, to the served licensed property) are generally 4 feet to 7 feet deep.