Effective March 31, 2014
1. Tenants. A tenant can add his/her name to an account for the address of the property being leased. Tenants may also remove their names from an account. The landlord/owner’s name will remain on the account. To be added or removed from an account, please contact Denver Water Customer Care at:
Monday – Friday
7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
A 24-hour emergency service is available at 303-628-6000.
2. Landlords. A landlord may also add and remove tenants to and from an account. Denver Water will add tenants to accounts, invoice tenants, and accept payment from tenants, However, pursuant to Denver Water’s operating rules, landlords are ultimately responsible to Denver Water for any financial charges for water service incurred on the account. All discrepancies between the owner and tenant regarding any portion of a bill or unpaid balance on an account must be resolved between the owner and tenant.
3. Payment Arrangements. Tenants are eligible for one payment arrangement per year pursuant to Denver Water’s operating rules. If a tenant fails to abide by a payment arrangement, then service will be shut off pursuant to the Denver Water’s operating rules.
4. Proration of Bills. Denver Water is currently unable to prorate water bills. Landlords and tenants are responsible for proration of any water bills.
5. Billing. Denver Water will send water service bills to the premises/occupant and to the landlord. If a landlord does not want a copy of the bill, at the landlord's request, Denver Water will send only one bill to the premises. Denver Water advises landlords to continue to receive duplicate copies of bills to keep informed as to whether the account is past due.
6. Account Balances. Upon entering into a lease with a tenant, landlords are advised to contact Denver Water to pay any pending balances on their water account.
7. Request for Information by Tenants. For tenants at single family residences, Denver Water will provide tenants with the following information: the pending unpaid balance on an account at time the tenant’s name is being added to the account, as well as billing and consumption history during the time the tenant’s name is on the account. For tenants at multi-family residences, please contact your property manager or homeowners association to obtain this information.