July is a busy time for watering, which is why the Irrigation Association deemed it Smart Irrigation Month — an annual reminder to use water wisely.
Smart irrigation means keeping your system in shape. Do a walk-through of each watering zone once a week to check for:
- Leaks and broken or clogged heads.
- Filters that need to be cleaned.
- Wet areas indicating leaks or low-head drainage.
- Dry spots showing a need to adjust sprinkler heads.
Adjustments that can keep sprinkler heads in the efficiency game include:
- Changing spray patterns or positions to water plants, not sidewalks or asphalt.
- Removing obstructions that prevent even water distribution.
- Moving head height as plants grow taller.
Get more tips and recommended watering times.