Any time of year is a good time to save water. Let us help you with a few ideas.
- Don’t use running water to thaw a frozen turkey or other food. Defrost food in the refrigerator. (It’s safer, too.)
- Wash vegetables and fruits in a bowl or basin using a vegetable brush instead of letting the water run. Use the extra water on plants.
- Chill drinking water in the refrigerator instead of running the faucet until the water is cold.
- Make sure the dishwasher is full before running it. Avoid cycles like pre-rinse and rinse-hold that use heated water but may not be necessary to clean your dishes.
- Scrape dishes — don’t rinse — before putting them in the dishwasher. Energy Star-qualified dishwashers and today’s detergents are designed to clean without needing a rinse.
Find more water-saving tips.