Who qualifies for a reimbursement?
To qualify for a reimbursement for a lead service line replacement, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be the property owner where the service line is located.
- The service line must be entirely or partially made of lead. To see if a property has or may have a lead service line, use this interactive map.
- A reimbursement for a partial service line replacement is only accepted IF there is no lead remaining at any point in the service line and the untouched portion of the service line is made of copper.
- The portion of the service line in the street must also be replaced if lead. Property owners own the service line from the point of the tap located in the street to the home.
- An application for reimbursement must be submitted and approved in advance of replacement of the lead service line.
- The applicant’s property must not be on Denver Water’s schedule for lead service line replacement in the current calendar year or in the next calendar year.
- The replacement of the lead service line must not conflict with paving moratoriums for recently paved streets.*
*Denver Water may apply an exception for properties that are required to replace a lead service line because of Denver Water’s scrape-off/redevelopment policy.
How much is the reimbursement?
Denver Water provides reimbursement for customers who wish to complete a lead service line replacements outside of the Lead Reduction Program replacement schedule. The reimbursement is a one-time payment of $3,800 which is approximately half of the utility’s cost for replacement.
If you are approved, Denver Water will send you an email notification with guidance for what to do after your service line has been replaced.
If you are approved, Denver Water will mail you a check.
Are there loans, grants or other funds available to me to pay for my service line replacement?
Grants and low-interest loans are available for lead service line replacement. For more information and to find out if you qualify, contact Denver Urban Renewal Authority at 303-534-3872, or call the city’s 311 hotline.
I already replaced my service line. Can I get the reimbursement?
- Property owners who replaced their lead service lines prior to April 29, 2020, when the reimbursement program started, are not eligible for the program.
- Property owners must submit an application in advance of replacing their lead service line AND receive a confirmation email approving their application.
How long do I have to replace my service line once approved for reimbursement?
You must replace your lead service line before the end of the calendar year in which your reimbursement is approved. If you do not replace your lead service line before the end of the calendar year, you must reapply in the next calendar year.
The work has been completed, what do I do next?
After the service line is replaced, Denver Water will inspect the new line and set the meter. After Denver Water completes these tasks, Denver Water will issue your reimbursement.